Many of our clients resided together and had children, but never married. Now, they have or want to separate and seek to establish agreements and/or court orders for custody, visitation and child support. Some may even seek to pursue alimony and property distribution orders based on agreements they had with one another.

In California, a motion to establish paternity is the typical court action that opens the courtroom door to accessing custody and child support orders. Many times, the parties simply agree at the outset that no dispute to paternity exists. They then move on to the issues of custody, visitation and support. Other times, a DNA test is done first to establish and confirm parentage, before the issues of custody, visitation and support are dealt with.

Motions to establish paternity can proceed in either family court or through the Department of Child Support Services. Our lawyers have experience with each process.

Call Us To Get Started For Free

The attorneys at Larose Law, in Fremont and Walnut Creek, are experienced with seeking court orders to establish paternity, and custody and support orders as those issues relate to unmarried persons. Call 510-945-1082, or contact us online for a free consultation.